This activity for Diabetic Retinopathy education is provided by Med Learning Group.
This activity is supported by an independent medical education grant from Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Copyright © 2019Med Learning Group. Built by Divigner. All Rights Reserved.
Maintaining Healthy Vision In Patients With Diabetes
What you can do:
- Refer for a yearly dilated eye examination, even if the patient does not have symptoms1
- If the patient has already been diagnosed with DR, encourage them to keep the follow-up schedule as recommended by their eye doctor
- Don’t delay treatment: The better the vision is prior to treatment, the better the vision will be after treatment5
- Encourage appropriate blood sugar levels6
- Ensure medications are taken as directed6
- Make sure hypertension and hyperlipidemia are controlled, if present7,8
- Encourage moderate aerobic exercise that gets the heart pumping for a total of 2 ½ hours per week, a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight9